Information for students
South Eastern Sydney Illawarra Health offers a range of opportunities for Bachelor of Nursing and Bachelor of Midwifery students. Clinical placements are some of the most interesting and important components of your degree so why not spend at least one of them in our Area Health Service?
The advantages include:
- experiencing some of the State's largest and most reputable hospitals and community services with access to the widest range of mainstream and highly specialised clinical services
- opportunities to explore a particular field by selecting major studies and elective placements in particular settings eg paediatrics or mental health
- support and encouragement from experienced registered and enrolled nurses who are interested in helping you learn about and experience nursing
- the chance to investigate the programs for first year registered nurses and seek the opinions of the current participants.
Contact the clinical placement co-ordinator at your university to organise the practicum and include South Eastern Sydney Illawarra Health among your choice of placement options. We are unable to process requests for clinical placement received directly from students.
Information for universities
NSW Health has introduced a database – Clinical Placement Capacity Information System which streamlines the management of clinical placement requests received by the public health system for Bachelor of Nursing and Midwifery students enrolled in Australian universities. The aim is to optimise the clinical placement opportunities available to nursing students whilst maintaining the highest standards of care for patients accessing our public health services.
Requests for clinical placements in any of the facilities in South Eastern Sydney Illawarra Health (SESIH) from universities with which we currently have a Clinical Affiliation Agreement, are to be lodged by the university's clinical placement co-ordinator (or officer in a similar position) using the NSW Department of Health - Clinical Placement Capacity Information system by the date specified to universities.
Note: In certain circumstances only, and at the discretion of South Eastern Sydney Illawarra Health, requests received outside of the stated time frame may be considered.
Contact us for more information about arranging a clinical placement.
Requests from student nurses outside Australia
Bachelor of Nursing & Midwifery students from outside Australia who wish to be considered for clinical elective placement in one of the facilities in South Eastern Sydney Illawarra Health, are required to be a student of an affiliated university.
The affiliated university will request the clinical placement on your behalf using the NSW Department of Health Clinical Placement capacity Information System.
SESIH Affiliated Education Providers for Nursing & Midwifery.
- University of Wollongong
- University of Technology, Sydney
- University of Sydney
- Australian Catholic University (NSW)
- University of Western Sydney
- University of Tasmania
- Charles Sturt University
- University of New England
- Flinders University
- University of South Australia
- University of Southern Queensland
- Queensland University of Technology
- Avondale College
- University of Newcastle
- La Trobe University
- Central Queensland University
- Charles Darwin University
- College of Nursing
- TAFE NSW